Wondering what to wear for a boudoir photo shoot?
Considered corsets? Confused by corsets? There are so many choices!
Corsets, fashion corsets, corselets, bustiers, underbust corsets, waist cinchers, waspies. With all these different types, how do you know which to choose? Let me help!
How to Choose a Corset for Your Boudoir Photo Shoot
A corset should be a firmly boned, fully laced, supportive and figure shaping garment. If you like the feel (or think you will like the feel) of a figure enhancing and tight fitting garment and want to be pulled in at the waistline, have a look at corsets:
- Daily wear or tight lacing (also known as hourglass) corsets are generally the finest quality, made with personal attention and the best materials. Made up of metal boning and fully laced for tightly pulling in the waist.
- An underbust corset and a waist cincher are corsets that sit under the bust line, with metal boning and fully laced for tightly pulling in the waist.
- Fashion corsets are similar to daily wear or tight lacing without the dramatic waist reduction. Best for very fit figures or comfortable fashion wear events, they smooth over the curves of the body and are worn more comfortably with less tightening, and as a result are less restricting.
- A bustier is a lightly boned garment and usually has back stretch panels and hook/eye fastening. They are supportive but not too confining, and most often boned with plastic.
- A waspie is a smaller underbust corset with boning, not intended to be a tight lacing garment, but rather a fashion piece as outer or under wear.
- Corselets and basques are usually another type of bustier. They generally do not reduce much and may be made of plastic boning or inferior fabrics. They are for occasional wear, but they are cheaper, so for a one-shot or rare-use item, this is your best bet.
That item my model is wearing is neither a bustier or a corset. Confused?? This all-in-one body slimmer with built in bra is a practical under-dress garment for normal wear. It’s slimming but does not have laces in the back to cinch the waist in.
Waist training corsets will do just that if used over an extended period of time. Just like a ring on your finger will cinch in the area where it is worn, so, a waist training corset will permanently train a real waist line, which is much lacking in the young ladies today who have worn nothing but low-rise pants and jeans.
Real under-breast corsets can run as high as three or four hundred dollars. Visit websites like Waisted Couture to purchase a real corset. They are worn over your clothes and create a fabulous old but new-again fashion look.
Over breast corsets like the one in this photo are worn by performers or for fun. Now that you know what to wear for a boudoir photo shoot – wouldn’t you like your photo taken in one of these?